Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thoughts on Stardust by Neil Gaiman


Stardust, by Neil Gaiman
Ebook, 248 pages
Published December 23rd 2008 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 1998)
Catch a fallen star...
Tristan Thorn promised to bring back a fallen star. So he sets out on a journey to fulfill the request of his beloved, the hauntingly beautiful Victoria Forester - and stumbles into the enchanted realm that lies beyond the wall of his English country town. Rich with adventure and magic, Stardust is one of master storyteller Neil Gaiman's most beloved tales, and the inspiration for the hit movie.

***



*Spoiler free*

Neil Gaiman was not a name I was familiar with until about a week ago. I saw that this book was $1.99 on Amazon the other day after I ran across the authors name on a friends Instagram. I started to research the book on Goodreads and I was surprised to find out that Gaiman was the author Coraline and few other stories I had on my TBR list. I bought the book and dove right into it, not really expecting to be blown away by the story. 

I love it when I random book with little expectations becomes a favorite. Is it just me, or do you almost have a sense of "fictional fear" that had you not impulsively bought this book on Amazon, your life would have not been as happy?... I do this all the time. What would my life had been like if I never read this book? Would I look at the stars passively as I did before? Would I think that unicorns are pansy creatures waiting to be eaten by Voldemort? I don't know... You can see how one would worry. 


Maybe I enjoyed this book so much because I can only dream of having an imagination as wild as Gaiman's. Seriously, some of the ideas and sentences in this book are sheer brilliance that made my logical, no-nonsense mind only wonder what it would be like to see the world in such color. The story was great, but I think this was one of those books that I loved because it was so fantastical. It made me very happy.

My only wish is that the adult portions of the book would have been either left out of the book or told in a non-explicit way so that I could recommend this to younger readers. This could have been a great story for all ages, but instead is a fairy tale targeted to adult readers, which is a shame.


I still loved it though. So, so much. I don't know if I plan to read anything else by the author, but I know that this world will be one that I revisit soon.


Next up, the movie! Which I've heard is really good.





No comments:

Post a Comment